Saturday 18 June 2011

Headlamps.

One of the little details for slot cars that has always annoyed me is headlamps. The problem being that all those that are available are the wrong size. I searched high and low for some suitable replacements looking in every art and craft shop that I could find locally.There are absolutely loads of small self adhesive gems available for making birthday and Christmas cards, with every conceivable shape, colour and style. Except the one I wanted of course. In the end I had no alternative than to make my own.
The size of course was critical. All the headlamps available are made to 4 or 5 or even 6mm diameters, but a standard 7 inch diameter lamp as used on pretty much every car built in the '50s and '60s scales down to 5.5mm. So I drew them up in Corel Draw and had a sheet produced in photo etched stainless steel. Where would I be without photo etching!
The lenses are created using nothing more than clear casting resin, with a yellow pigment added to the resin to give an amber lense as an option. The photos show the prototypes but these have now been improved and they will be available shortly on the GP Miniatures website. I'm sure somebody will find these useful.
Graham.

No comments:

Post a Comment