Friday 16 July 2010

1/24th scale Aston DB3

Mickey Gossett over in Hutchison, Kansas seems to have picked up the carving bug. His subject is a 1/24th Aston DB3, designed to run on a Carrera E Type Chassis. The method of laminating the layers of wood, which in this instance is basswood, which I believe is lime, is quite inspiring and it's good to see someone else having a go. After all if we don't show these things, the possiblity of these skills being passed on to yournger guys might be lost.
The shape is coming along very nicely and i'm sure with some minor adjustments, will end up looking pretty good.
Although I havn't spoken to Mickey in any great detail I would imagine that each piece is cut with a bandsaw or similar. The square cut of the wood tells me that they've not been cut by hand. If they have, then I take my hat off to him as I know how tricky it is to get a cut like that manually. All in all a very admirable project and Mickey tells me he has plans for a second model, the next one being an Austin Healey 100/6. By the look of the Aston, we have something to look forward to. Excellent work Mickey and keep it going.
Graham.










No comments:

Post a Comment